GPS tracking powered by InstaMapper.com

Friday 8 July 2011

Blogging by Email and Gadgets

As the title suggests, I'm not at the PC but tippy tapping away at my
phone. Please excuse any spelling or grammatical errors. It's a lot
easier to forget what you've written on phone. I'm still undecided as
to wether to take my laptop with me. When I chose my laptop I wanted
one that would be small and light enough to go travelling with it.
Although it's only a small one and weighs 2kg , by the time you add on
the charger and a protective case it's more like 3kg. Or to put it
another way 3000 grams. When you put it into grams it looks like it
feels. Not very heavy in the real world especially compared to Maddy's
beast of a thing that requires a crane to read it in bed, but for
bicycling every gram soon adds up. Most seasoned travellers offer the
advice of lay everything you intend to take on the bed and then halve
it. I've gone down the opposite route and tried to gather everything I
can possibly think of and see if I could fit it on. This was going ok
until I actually went out on the bike. I managed to squeeze it all on
but couldn't even take my hands off the bars to take a drink for fear
of wobbling to a rather anti climatical end.
So the last few weeks have been pretty much about packing and nothing
else. Losing the odd unnecessary item here and there and shaving off
weight where ever I can. The pinnacle of this was yesterday when I
realised I had some pliers in my pen knife so I could lose the other
pair I had packed in the tool bag. A load lightening 200 grams saved.
I actually gave a yelp out loud. Then the postman arrived with some
bits I had ordered. A spoke spanner, A chain extractor and some
batteries for the rear light. Total weight 216 grams. Massive Fail!
The sun has got his waterproof hat on so I need to hotfoot it over to
Stanmore sharpish to pick up my prescription cycling glasses before it
rains.
Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment