GPS tracking powered by InstaMapper.com

Tuesday 30 August 2011

Day 29: Tuesday 30th August 2011: Nr Gerzingen, Danube Lake to Augsberg


I prepared for the cold and basically wore most of my clothes to bed. This kept out most of the chill.The beautiful view soon warmed me up and I decided to not leave here until every loose end that needed sorting out was done. Namely tighten the chain and sort out the camera battery charger. So to work in my little nature reserve, pot of coffee on the go and scrambled eggs and the rest of the bacon for breakfast. Oh yeah, this is what it's all about.
Record scratch noise as reality hits. Can't fix the charger and both batteries now dead. Go to fix chain and need a special tool that I don't have, probably could have got it done in five minutes back at the shop in Ulm. Epical Failures!! Down but not out I start to pack up and realise I've managed to lose one of the camera batteries. I search everywhere in vain but nothing. I'm really starting to get down now. For some reason I keep losing things, which I don't usually do. First it was the drybag that Maddy gave me when I left Paris, then the cable lock, after that the silk sleeping bag liner that would have kept me a bit warmer and now the bloody battery. Dark cloud comes in over my head and the beautiful view turns sour. I just put the last pannier on the bike and the battery plops on the floor. Probably slug juice had stuck it to the bottom of the bag. Epic Nonsense.
I don't leave my gorgeous spot till nearly 12 and by 6pm I have made the next spot; Augsberg.
Whilst shopping in Lidl for my new favourite sweets: Yoghurt Gums, I buy a crash helmet. It has a built in flashing light and costs 10 euros. I can't resist. I don't have a cycling helmet and although feel no need at all to wear one in Germany, further down the road the roads may not be so welcoming. I have also recently seen a video of James Cracknell who got clouted in the back of the head by a lorry's wing mirror. The video obviously worked on me.
Great Cycle paths and signage for a change make the journey a treat and when I see a McD I decide to take advantage of the wifi.
I had been meaning to go on the WarmShowers website but not got round to it. Www.WarmShowers.org is couch surfing for bicycle tourers.
If you have not heard of either what happens is this: Like minded people go into the site. They say you can sleep at their house, just get in touch to see if the day you want to stay is convenient. If both parties agree you have a room and if you're lucky a warm shower for the night. It brings cyclists together from all over the world who have a common interest. Whilst I'm on the site I check the map of available hosts and notice that there is a couch available in town. I hit up the address and ask if tonight is too short notice. I'm not expecting a reply so quick and with limited time left on my one free hour of wifi but I get a reply back straight away. I haven't read his profile properly and he is infact cycling the Pan American highway as we speak. Hello Jurgen. He does however give me his brother's phone number and tells me to give him a call and he will sort me out. I phone him from my UK mobile and there is a bit of a delay and fuzzy line. We find it hard to understand each other. I pounce on a poor couple having a quiet cappuccino and ask if they would translate on the phone. They willingly agree and before long I have the address. As Augsberg is another place for me to taste the beer I go in search of a local brew to take along for me and my host. About 7km out of town I come to Inningen and ask a pizza place for the street. I'm nearly on it. As I drive down the street a guy is waiting at the end of the drive. Its Michail; Jurgens brother. We say our hellos and he introduces me to his mother Gabriele, Dad Erwin is out at the mo but will be back soon. I thank them for their generosity considering the circumstances. It turns out it's both of our first warmshowers experience and we enjoy each other's company. Dad comes home and we have a beer or three and he gets out the 45% schnapps. It's made from roots. It's very natural tasting, I kind of like it. A Bit of a digestive I think they would call it in France. They show me Jurgen's blog and I do likewise. The hospitality and warmth from this family are truly marvellous. Of course a bed and a shower are appreciated, and mum insists on making me a pizza too. I think it's for the whole family and agree, but its just for me. Michail makes me feel a bit better by having a few pieces. Not only this but then Gabriel asks if I have any washing that needs doing. As much as I want to be polite I can't pass this up and give her pretty much everything I have with me. It's not hard to see why I'm being treated so nicely. Their son has had over 60 warmshowers hosts and they are just giving back some of what he has received . I'm signed up to host when I'm home so will hopefully be able to give a bit back too.
I fall asleep under the softest duvet I've ever experienced. zzzz

lovely Erwin, Gabriele, Michail Jurgen

No comments:

Post a Comment