GPS tracking powered by InstaMapper.com

Sunday 2 October 2011

Day 62: Sunday 02nd October 2011. Polvdiv to 40km before Haskovo. BULGARIA.


I go down stairs to tell them about the toe and enquire about a chemist. The receptionists has to ring around because it's Sunday and they don't open today. She finds one that's open. The hotel does not have a first aid kit rather annoyingly. This is not a cheapy place by the way, but the sort where business people and indeed some of the musicians from last night are staying. I go and practice the art of miming a cut toe at the chemist and acquire some antiseptic cream. Having only sandals I think this is one injury worth taking care of. I cycle to the chemists to see if the foot is ok and it appears to be, I'm lucky. When I get back the manager is called to see me about the foot debarcle, apologises for the sharp step, the lack of first aid and offers to refund the money on the room. Unfortunately it's her first day as manager, and refunding my credit card on a sunday is well out of her league at the moment. In the end I just take cash. All this takes so long to sort out I wish I'd said dont worry about it. It's 12:30 when I leave and the sun is spanking me. I stop at a supermarket for some food as everywhere else seems to be shut and head on out to Haskovo, 100km East. The road is busy all day and I have a very tiny hard shoulder to cycle in or none at all. The lorries whizz past my ear. I decide if I'm gonna go this way I'll have a smile on my face when it happens so I plug in some tunes and dance half of the day away. It is possible to dance while cycling but needs a particularly jiggy move to pull this off. Something I happen to be quite good at. I stop at a town whose name escapes me and get some supplies and at 5 o clock I disappear into a corn field and get a fair distance from the road. Apart from the hum of the traffic not a single dog or other noise is heard all night, although I do now own a zoo of insects, some of which like to jump. I will be bringing them back to England and charging admission.  

No comments:

Post a Comment