GPS tracking powered by InstaMapper.com

Thursday 9 June 2011

After finding out about Thomas Stevens and his first global navigation by bicycle I downloaded the book to my Kindle for free at Project Gutenberg . What happened next has kept me captivated ever since.
At 8am on 22nd April 1884 Thomas set off from San Francisco, California, USA.on a 50" Columbia Ordinary (Penny Farthing) bicycle  to cycle across America and indeed the world.
When I realised that Thomas not only arrived in the UK in Liverpool but also cycled down through his birthplace of Berkhamsted, a quick check of some old maps assured me he would have cycled right past my window. This, coupled with the fact that Apsley, the village where I live is slap bang in between Berkhamsted and Kings Langley, and Langley being the surname of the website where I found out about the first global "Wheeler" was a good enough reason to get me started on an escapade.

No comments:

Post a Comment