GPS tracking powered by InstaMapper.com

Monday 13 June 2011

All systems are go! Train, Ferry & Plane tickets booked.

The weekends shenanigans have really got me in the mood. So I have taken the plunge and committed myself to some dates this summer to go in search of Thomas Stevens. This morning I booked the necessary tickets to tackle Part One of my round the world bicycle trip. Just like Star Wars I shall be starting half way through the story and intend to complete the European leg of the adventure first. Chapter 5 to Chapter 9. This will mean just like Stevens I will take a train from London up to Liverpool arriving on the 2nd August 2011. From here I will cycle down through England tracing the footsteps and wheeltracks of the "white helmeted one" stopping at home in Apsley a few days later. I will then hopefully ride down to Newhaven via London with my lovely girlfriend and we will sail from Newhaven on the 11th August to Dieppe in France. Once in mainland Europe Maddy will accompany me to Paris before heading back home on the Eurostar. After I have waved her off at the Gare du Nord I will then be on my own onwards to Istanbul. I should arrive in Istanbul by the 29th September and will then fly home.
If this outrageous plan all goes well I can start plotting the next parts of the round the world journey. 
For any seasoned traveller or bicycle tourist this would hardly be an epic. For me on the other hand,well:
The furthest I have ever cycled in a day is 62 miles, the most days I've ever cycled and camped in a row is five. I have never been away from home for longer than five weeks and I've never been away from people I know for longer than 4 weeks. Add to that, it wasn't long ago that I never stepped outside my front door for two months. It's a big world out there and I'm about to cycle around it...........arghhh!


No comments:

Post a Comment