GPS tracking powered by InstaMapper.com

Friday 17 June 2011

Lion Poo


Sometimes you just wake up with a killer idea and have to act on it immediately. Dogs are a problem whilst bicycle touring, they were in 1884 and they still are. Is there an alternative to Dog Pepper Spray or a Smith & Wesson revolver?
I wrote this letter to find out:

17th June 2011 07:28

Dear Head Lion Keeper, Whipsnade Zoo,

We recently visited Whipsnade and had a very lovely time at the zoo, we were pleasantly surprised at how much space the animals have to roam around in. It is no doubt because of this visit that the following idea has just popped into my head as I have woken up this morning.
About two months ago I learnt about the story of Thomas Stevens, the first man to cycle around the world in 1884. You can find out where to read about his adventure for free on my blog mentioned above.
It turns out that Thomas was born in Berkhamsted and would have cycled past my house on his round the world trip. This seemed like an excellent reason for me to follow in his footsteps & wheel tracks. I'm leaving on 2nd August this year starting in Liverpool and aiming to get to Istanbul by October.
Unfortunately one of the perils of bicycle touring is dogs. Wild, tame or somewhere in-between they love to chase, bark and occasionally bite you. As an animal lover I always try to resolve these meetings in a non violent way which is usually the most productive method any way, however some have that glint in their eye which implies they want to have a piece of Richie leg for their din dins. This is when the idea hit me, no doubt sitting in my subconscious after seeing your lovely Lions laying against the glass window at Whipsnade. I remember seeing a documentary once where a dog was taken along side a Lion enclosure at a conservation park in South Africa and the dog became immediately submissive because by instinct it knew that the smell of Lions (my capitalization of Lions is a mark of recognition by the way, as king of the beasts :) sorry, that the smell of Lions meant that it was no time to fool around and that it had better pay some respect.
Is this true? Would it work in countries where Lions haven't roamed for 100's/1000's of years?
If so, or even if not so, would it be possible to have some Lion poo or some Lion wee to take with me or put on my bike to non-violently keep away the excited dogs between here and Istanbul?
It would be much appreciated. Would I have to gather the poo myself? It would be quite scary but well worth it. Or could we arrange for a Lion to pee on my bike? Interestingly Whipsnade is pretty much on the route that Thomas Stevens would have taken, as he cycled between Fenny Stratford and Berkhamsted and it would be excellent to pop in on the adventure and pick some up.
Thomas met a mountain Lion in the States on his trip and unfortunately had to shoot at it to save himself, rest assured I will not be bringing a gun.

This is a serious request and not someone with an animal fetish :)

Keep up the great work at the zoo.

Kind Regards
Richie Turner aged 39 ½ in August
check the blog at anordinarypursuit@blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment